Homesteading? There’s an app for that!
In the long history of electronic revolution; farming, gardening and homesteading is one thing that has seen very little change over time. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it- right? It comes as no surprise that mobile technology has yet to follow suit the same as it has in other areas of development, but times are changing.
One daunting task every homesteader loathes, but understands its necessity, is paperwork and record keeping. Busy hands often make forgetful minds and record keeping becomes a game of memory recall. Apps were designed to make life easier by allowing you instant access to programs that will offer you advice in areas that you need and to take records of important details that are often forgotten, saving you valuable time.
What are Apps? An app is a type of software that allows you to perform specific tasks. Applications for desktop or laptop computers are sometimes called desktop applications, and those for mobile devices are called mobile apps. When you open an application, it runs inside the operating system until you close it.
When texting first grew into popularity, I looked at the younger generation shaking my head with a squished nose and pouty lips (I still do sometimes!). Not too much time passed before I realized the convenience of texting and jumped on that techno wagon. Now texting allows me to; save time by minimizing phone conversations that would normally last for hours, reduces trips to the store for things forgotten, keep in touch with my children, answer business questions while I am occupied with other activities, make sales transactions and increases my business, and stay in touch with those I don’t see often.
While some of us may be digging in our heels and refusing to adopt to a new system, technology is here to stay. Its really designed to make life easier by saving us time; saved time = saved money. What does it hurt to try?
I have compiled a list of free (or free trial) applications and listed their ratings and descriptions, for your mobile devices. There are other applications available that are not free that may work better or have better ratings that you can find with an internet search. Not all mobile devices are compatible so make sure the app will work with your device before downloading.
Rating 4.1 stars
Rating 4.5 stars
● Electronic map fields: measuring the area and perimeter of fields. With the help of GPS or manualy (field editor).
● Maintenance history crop on each field. The history of crop rotation.
● Keeping of Farm Journal (fertilizing, planting, harvesting).
● Points of interest: the establishment of a framework arrangement of objects in your household (warehouses, gas stations …).
● Note anywhere in your field. (Soil sampling for agrochemical laboratory)
● Storing data in the cloud. Reliable storage of your data. Transferring data to a new device.
● Web access to your data.
● Inventory (Materials calculation in Farm Journal)
● Photo in Farm Journal
● Export fields in format SHP, KML. Sending data via email
● Export POI to KML
Hive Tracks for Android takes the rich, complex environment of the Hive Tracks web application and simplifies it for easy on-location and offline access to yard, hive, and hive inspections. Use Android’s native camera and audio capabilities to capture your hive inspection in real-time. Before leaving cell coverage with your mobile device start the Hive Tracks mobile app so your current web application data will be imported to the mobile app. The mobile app can be used with or without cell coverage, and in either case inspection data, photos, and audio are automatically synchronized with your hivetracks.com account whenever your mobile device has cell coverage. NOTICE: The mobile app is free to Hive Tracks Pro users. If you are a free Hive Tracks user, you will be given the opportunity to subscribe to Hive Tracks Pro through the mobile app. If you are not a Hive Tracks user, please register for an account through hivetracks.com
• Track participation in events, meetings, shows, contests and more
• Record animal weights, feed, and health and monitor average daily gains
• Enter project income, expenses, and assets to generate financial statements
• Use photos to customize each 4-H’er and animal
• Export reports to analyze in spreadsheets, create graphs, or use in your state or local 4-H record keeping forms
Thanks to the generous sponsorship of Tractor Supply Company, National 4-H Council brings you this easy, flexible way to keep all your 4-H market livestock records all together in one place. So stop writing animal weights on feed sacks and trying to re-create records from calendars, checkbooks and faded receipts. There’s a better way! For more information about 4-H please visit the 4-H website
Count Your Eggs helps backyard chicken owners track their egg production. Simply enter your egg count each day when you gather eggs. The app graphs your production over time so you can spot changes in laying trends and make better predictions.
– Count your eggs each day.
– Forgot to count yesterday? No problem. You can add or change counts for past days.
– See your weekly average egg production
– See egg production graphed over time
Rating: 4.4 stars
Rating: 3 stars
Garden Time Planner is great if you’re schedule oriented. Just pick a vegetable, herb or flower to add to your garden — the app tells you if you should start growing your seed indoors or directly in the garden. A checklist tells you what actions to take throughout the year. There are a few videos with planting instructions. And there’s even a weather report. The app is free at Apple’s App Store and Google Play.
Rating: 4.3 Stars
The Weather Channel app offers the best radar maps, local forecasts, & weather news available. With our app and widgets, you can enjoy the best day possible with the most accurate forecast available. After all, when you see the world through weather, It’s Amazing Out There. Our favorite features include:
• Trusted forecasts include hourly, 36-hour, and 10-day forecast options (Celsius or Fahrenheit)
• Weather Maps: Fast, accurate, and localized radar maps offer past and future radar as well as severe weather alerts for storm tracking and tornado activity. With map layers you can select road or satellite views; activate hurricane tracking; and choose map layers, whether it’s cloud, radar, water temperature, wind speed, snow cover or more.
• Current weather conditions give you the “feels like” temperature, sunrise time, sunset time, wind speed, humidity, UV index, visibility, dew point, and pressure.
• Social Weather: Report your weather conditions to us! We’ll use the information to improve the forecast & map out what others are reporting or tracking in your area. Plus, your report will be added to your personalized weather history, so you can track your past reports. To complete your report, remember to take a photo and share it with your friends. (MOBILE DEVICES ONLY)
• Severe Notifications and Weather Alerts: Get alerts for severe weather and high pollen counts for any of your favorite location(s). You also have the option to activate an always-on temperature in your notification bar for tracking the location of your choice.
• Weather Widgets: Offered in several sizes, whether you want the 1×1 weather widget, 2×2 weather widget, 4×1 weather widget, or 4×2 weather widget
• Seasonal tools, like our airport delays module, pollen counts, and boat & beach planner help you plan your life around the weather. (MOBILE DEVICES ONLY)
• From severe storms to bizarre findings, stay up-to-date with the latest weather news stories. You can also watch our videos, which cover everything from your local forecast to climate change news.
• Beautiful and easy-to-use interface
• Amazing background photos match your location and current weather conditions.
• Navigation: swipe up and down to view the detailed forecasts and news stories.
• The best weather app is also optimized for Android tablets