Amazing Southern Tomato Pie
A Southern dish that demands to be made and eaten. At first glance and even sound of ‘tomato pie’ sounds unappetizing – it truly is a wonderful culinary experience to behold!
Tomato Pie Ingredients
- One-9″pie shell [homemade or store bought!]
- 1/2 yellow or red onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter or olive oil
- 3-4 tomatoes, seeds removed, roughly chopped [3 cups]
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced basil* [8-10 leaves)
*To slice basil, the term used is chiffonade – stack the leaves on top of one another, roll them up like a cigar, at one end, slice the ‘cigar’ crosswise in thin slices
- 2 cups grated cheese (can use combination, your choices!]
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce or Tabasco [optional]
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
*Preheat over to 350 degrees F. and place pie shell oven and cook for 8-10 minutes until lightly golden brown.
*Squeeze as much moisture out of chopped tomatoes, using paper towels, a clean dish towel or even a potato ricer.
*Caramelize the onions in the butter or olive oil for 5-6 minutes.
*Cool and place in the bottom of the pre-cooked pie shell.
*Spread chopped tomatoes over the onions.
*Sprinkle sliced basil over the tomatoes.
*In a medium bowl, mix together the grated cheese, mayonnaise, hot sauce [optional], a sprinkling of salt and freshly ground black pepper. The mixture is going to be sticky – this is just what you will want! Spread the cheese mixture over the tomatoes.
*Place in the oven, bake until brown and bubbly. This can take 25 to 35 minutes.
Be vigilant and watch toward the end of the 25 minutes! Let this set on a wire rack for 8-10 minutes. Slice and enjoy!