DIY Everything Scrub- better than Comet!
I call this the Everything Scrub because I literally use it on everything from: Sinks to Tubs, Pots and Pans, Oven, Burnt on food, Dirty hands, Etc. You will love how efficiently this scrub works- one of my favorite recipes and best sellers!
I have taken years to develop these recipes into something that works best for my family, and every recipe I share have met all 3 G’s:
The 3 G’s
- Good for You– In order to meet my first G, a cleaner is required to, on no account, be a threat to human safety when used properly.
- Good for the Environment- To meet my second G’s requirements, a cleaner has to: pose no threat to the environment, be biodegradable, have a natural origin and to have been produced or harvested sustainably.
- Good for your wallet-To meet my third G, it has to be cost effective. If you madeyour own cleaning products you will see a 90% savings—even more!
DIY Everything Scrub
- Citrus Peels (from Herbal Citrus Cleaner Recipe)
- Baking Soda
- Citrus Essential Oils *
- Glass jar with lid
- Place Citrus peels in food processor until finely chopped
- Mix Citrus Peels and Baking Soda 3 parts baking soda to 1 part ground citrus peels, until a light yellow color and almost dry feeling.
- Example: if you have 1 cup of finely chopped citrus peels you will add 3 cups of baking soda
- Add Essential Drops (I use 10-15 depending on how big a batch I’m making), Mix thoroughly and Store in Glass Jar with Lid
- *Adding 5 drops of grapefruit seed essential oil helps act as a preservative
Baby Step: This scrub will replace your abrasive scrub (such as bar keeper’s friend, comet, soft scrub, etc.) If you are unable to make the scrub or don’t have the time, use straight baking soda. The citrus in the scrub helps with grease and lift stains but the baking soda works good all by itself
*Always use precaution when working with fine powders and work in a ventilated area to avoid breathing issues and lung damage. Dust mask is recommended
The 3rd G- Good for Your Wallet
This is what sold my husband and will sell you too, (especially if you’re frugal like me), the price comparison.
This will not be an exact price comparison to what you buy or use. This price list is based on the prices at the store I shop at and I buy my ingredients in bulk for making cleaning supplies. While the cost may not be penny for penny, I promise you that you will save a fortune by making your own.
Everything Scrub Price Comparison
Barkeepers Friend $3.99
If you like this recipe and would like to learn more, check our my recipe ebook The 3 G’s of Kitchen Cleaning
Disclaimer: All material on this website is provided for general information purposes only and does not constitute medical, legal, financial, or other professional advice on any subject matter.
Affiliate Disclosure: some of the links on this website are affiliate links, which means I may earn a small commission if you click on the link or make a purchase using the link, the price you pay is not affected. By using affiliate links, you are helping support The Coastal Homestead and the Free Programs that Low Country Healthy Living offer.
Amazon affiliate disclosure: The Coastal Homestead & Low Country Healthy Living is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com